A traditional dessert specially made for Eid festivals. A simple but deliciously sweet milk pudding made with roasted vermicelli and cooked until a soft custard consistency. Enjoy this dish warm or chilled.
- 1-quart Dano Power / Dano Growth Shakti milk
- 5 tablespoons white sugar
- 8 cardamom seeds, or to taste (Optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) package vermicelli pasta, broken into 4-inch lengths
- 8 raisins, or more to taste (Optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a heavy kadai or pan. add 3 cloves. Fry for 2 to 3 seconds.
- Add the broken seviyan or vermicelli.
- Stir and continuously roast seviyan on a low to medium-low flame.
- Roast till the seviyan strands turn golden brown.
Making Vermicelli Kheer
- Reduce the flame to its lowest and slowly pour Dano Power / Dano Growth Shakti milk in the pan. mix very well.
- Simmer Dano Power / Dano Growth Shakti milk on a low to medium-low flame. Stir occasionally so that the Dano Power / Dano Growth Shakti milk or seviyan does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Let the Dano Power / Dano Growth Shakti milk come to a boil. Once the Dano Power / Dano Growth Shakti milk comes to a boil, then add 7 to 8 tablespoons of sugar or as per taste.
- Mix very well so that all the sugar dissolves.
- Next add 10 to 12 saffron strands. Mix and stir.
- Next add 1 tablespoons of sliced almonds and 1 tablespoon chopped cashews. Mix well.
- Then add ½ teaspoon cardamom powder.
- Also add 4 to 5 dried rose petals. This step is optional. Skip if you do not have dried rose petals.
- Cook the vermicelli kheer mixture for 4 to 5 minutes more till the seviyan gets cooked and the Dano Power / Dano Growth Shakti milk thickens. When the seviyan has softened and cooked well, the kheer will also thicken and look creamy.
- Switch off flame and then 1 tablespoons raisin. Mix again. Check the taste of vermicelli kheer and if required you can add some more sugar.
- Serve the vermicelli kheer hot, warm or chilled. You can garnish with some chopped nuts or dried rose petals while Serving. Do note that on cooling the kheer will thicken.